2023-W31-2, 2023-213, Tue
2023-W31-3, 2023-214, Wed
2023-W31-4, 2023-215, Thu
2023-W31-5, 2023-216, Fri
2023-W31-6, 2023-217, Sat
2023-W31-7, 2023-218, Sun
2023-W32-1, 2023-219, Mon
2023-W32-2, 2023-220, Tue
- 10:15-07 (17:15+00): I found an article linked by this Mastodon post mentioning Penroseʼs work on the controvertial study of quantum biology. I recognized it as appearing in Neal Stephensonʼs Anathem, The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O., and Fall; or Dodge in Hell. I posted a reply stating as much.
- (17:33+00): I found a review article co-authored by Roger Penrose and a University of Arizona anesthesiology professor Stuart Hameroff about consciousness and a proposal of a quantum biology. The article is available under a 🅭🅯🄏⊜ 4.0 license.
2023-W32-3, 2023-221, Wed
- (22:20+00): I read about the FBI shooting a 75-year-old Provo Mormon who was being served a warrant this morning for threatening to kill President Joe Biden who is visiting Utah.
- (03:24+00): I heard Doc Searles quote Jefferson on FLOSS Weekly 744: “If you light your candle with mine, who owns the flame?”. The origin of the quote was from a 1813-08-13 letter by Thomas Jefferson to Issac McPherson recorded in The Writings of Thomas Jefferson (volume 13; edited by Albert Ellery Bergh, Andrew Adgate Lipscomb) as “He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me.”. The quote is used in the context of Jeffersonʼs work in a patent board and apparently is often used in discussions of copyright law.
- Doc Searles quoted Jefferson while interviewing Damien Riehl, an activist lawyer who created and copyrighted an automatically-generated library of melodic sequences in order to illustrate how ridiculous court cases were in which juries awarded copyright violation damages based on music melodies.
2023-W32-4, 2023-222, Thu
2023-W32-5, 2023-223, Fri
2023-W32-6, 2023-224, Sat
2023-W32-7, 2023-225, Sun
2023-W33-1, 2023-226, Mon
- (17:11+00): I created a Lemmy community on sopuli.xyz called
/c/nyt_gift_articlesto share New York Times gift articles with others so they can maximize coverage by not gifting the same article multiple times.
2023-W33-2, 2023-227, Tue
2023-W33-3, 2023-228, Wed
2023-W33-4, 2023-229, Thu
2023-W33-5, 2023-230, Fri
2023-W33-6, 2023-231, Sat
2023-W33-7, 2023-232, Sun
- (02:18+00): I created List of New York Times gift articles to mirror the Lemmy community /c/nyt_gift_articles I made at sopuli.xyz.
2023-W34-1, 2023-233, Mon
2023-W34-2, 2023-234, Tue
- (07:49+00): I found a paper mentioned by Cory Doctorow on TWiT 941 about eBook DRM and how most books in digital format are being used under restrictive licenses that fail to provide freedoms offered by printed books. The entire TWiT 941 is about Chokepoint Capitalism since the two interviewees are the co-authors of that book, Cory Doctorow and Rebecca Giblin.
- I found a webpage listing DRM-free eBook sources: https://www.defectivebydesign.org/guide/ebooks
- (08:41+00): On TWiT 941, Doctorow recommended Techno-Feudalism: The Demise of Capitalism and the Rise of a New Power, an upcoming book by Yanis Varoufakis, the former Minister of Finance of Greece of 2015 during the Greek government-debt crisis, and was an economist for gaming company Valve in 2012. Also, Doctorow mentioned that book publisher Simon & Schuster was sold to notorious private equity firm KKR.
2023-W34-3, 2023-235, Wed
2023-W34-4, 2023-236, Thu
2023-W34-5, 2023-237, Fri
- (13:36+00): I purchased a 2004 IEEE paper and added excerpts in a reference to the Wikipedia article of J002E3, an object in space thought to be a stage of the Saturn V rocket used in NASAʼs Apollo 12 mission (1969-11-14/1969-11-24).
2023-W34-6, 2023-238, Sat
2023-W34-7, 2023-239, Sun
2023-W35-1, 2023-240, Mon
2023-W35-2, 2023-241, Tue
2023-W35-3, 2023-242, Wed
2023-W35-4, 2023-243, Thu
- “Roger Penrose”. (2021-10-21). ncatlab.org. Accessed 2023-08-08. Archived from the original on 2023-03-30.
- Stuart Hameroff; Roger Penrose. (2014-03). “Consciousness in the universe: A review of the ‘Orch OR’ theory”. Physics of Life Reviews, Volume 11, Issue 1, Pages 39-78. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.plrev.2013.08.002 . Accessed 2023-08-08.
- Jesus Jiménez; (2023-08-09); “Utah Man Killed in Shooting Involving F.B.I. Agents”. New York Times. Accessed 2023-08-09. Archived from the original on 2023-08-09.
- McKenzie Romero; Kyle Dunphey. (2023-08-09). “Man killed by FBI who made social media threats toward Biden was older, had limited mobility, neighbors say”. Deseret News. Accessed 2023-08-09. Archived from the original on 2023-08-09.
- Robert Gehrke. (2023-08-08). “President Joe Biden to headline big-ticket Park City fundraiser during Utah visit”. Salt Lake Tribune. Accessed 2023-08-09. Archived from the original on 2023-08-09.
- “FLOSS Weekly 744: A Chill Pirate Lawyer”. (2023-08-09). FLOSS Weekly, episode 744. Accessed 2023-08-09. Time: 16m38s/1h5m40s. “If you light your candle with mine, who owns the flame?”
- Thomas Jefferson; Albert Ellery Bergh (editor); Andrew Adgate Lipscomb (editor). “The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Volume 13 of 20”. Thomas Jefferson Memorial Association. OCLC: 2031532. Accessed 2023-08-10.
- Baltakatei. (2023-08-14). “New York Times gift articles”. sopuli.xyz. Accessed 2023-08-14.
- Jason Schultz; Sarah Lamdan; Michael Weinberg; Claire Woodcock. (2023-07-24). “The Anti-Ownership Ebook Economy: How Publishers and Platforms Have Reshaped the Way We Read in the Digital Age”. Social Science Research Network. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.4511975 . Accessed 2023-08-23.
- Leo Laporte; Cory Doctorow; Rebecca Giblin. (2023-08-21). “TWiT 941: Hurriquake! - Chokepoint Capitalism, America COMPETES Act, Google Topics, Internet Archive.”. This Week in Tech. Accessed 2023-08-23.
- Elizabeth A. Harris; Lauren Hirsch; Benjamin Mullin. (2023-08-07). “Paramount Agrees to Sell Simon & Schuster to KKR, a Private Equity Firm”. New York Times. Accessed 2023-08-23.
- John.V. Lambert; Kris Hamada; Doyle T. Hall; John L. Africano; Maile Giffin; Kim Luu; Paul Kervin; Kira Jorgensen. (2004). “Photometric and spectral analysis of MPC object J002E3”. IEEE], IEEE Aerospace Conference. Big Sky, Montana. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/AERO.2004.1368093 . OCLC: 4801025397 . Pages 2866-2873. Accessed 2023-08-25. “… the rotational period was determined to be 63.46 seconds … The value determined for the precession angle, 79 ± 10°, indicates that the object is in a near end-over-end tumble … The optical cross-sections for the cylinder and the ends, 14 ± 2 and 5 ± 2 square meters, respectively, are consistent with the size of the S-IVB and the expected darkening of the white paint due to space weathering. Comparing the known physical dimensions of the S-IVB to the determined optical cross-sections yields an albedo for the cylinder of 0.16 ± 0.02 (neglecting the black painted areas) and 0.22 ± 0.07 for the ends.”.