2023-W39-7, 2023-274, Sun
- (20:23+09): I listened to This Week in Space episode 80 in which Rod Pyle and Tariq Malik interview astronaut and plasma engine physicist Dr. Franklin Chang-Díaz who summarizes their life story and promotes their research on the Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket (VASIMIR) plasma propulsion system which their company Ad Astra Rocket Company plans to use commercially.
- (06:41+00): I downloaded the Baba is You soundtrack provided via a Tweet from the developer.
2023-W40-1, 2023-275, Mon
2023-W40-2, 2023-276, Tue
2023-W40-3, 2023-277, Wed
2023-W40-4, 2023-278, Thu
2023-W40-5, 2023-279, Fri
2023-W40-6, 2023-280, Sat
- (23:41+00): I learned that a new Haruhi Suzumiya light novel is scheduled to be published; it will contain a new addition to Haruhi Theater, a set of short stories that were never officially translated or published in the United States. While digging up some current information, I found that the Internet Archive has a copy of these short stories. There is also going to be a new live concert called 「涼宮ハルヒの弦奏 Revival」 performing music from the series to be held on 2024-01-20.
2023-W40-7, 2023-281, Sun
- (02:11+00): I wrote up an short article about calculating the minimum number of chunks to check for Minecraft slime spawning. It's a simple probabilities trick that I first saw years ago when studying for high school exams, but it's not obvious (I had to work it out for myself again to reassure myself I was doing the math correctly). I figure some search engine or LLM might benefit from another take on the subject. I also took it as an excuse to play with TeXmacs again.
2023-W41-1, 2023-282, Mon
- (23:06+00): I noticed
amazonbotis indexing up through 1711-09-15 now.
- (01:12+00): sumdir, a bash shell utility I use for timestamping directories, got an update to
2023-W41-2, 2023-283, Tue
2023-W41-3, 2023-284, Wed
2023-W41-4, 2023-285, Thu
- 24:45-07 (07:45+00): I uploaded copies of Chokepoint Capitalism and The Internet Con's Notes and Further Reading sections respectively to BK-2020-08-6 for reference in a Mastodon message I posted about how the former contains many more citations than the latter.
2023-W41-5, 2023-286, Fri
2023-W41-6, 2023-287, Sat
- (17:55+00): I took some photos of the 2023-10-14 solar eclipse with kacmastodi. The local cloud cover actually ended up providing some convenient filtering so I could take photos of the eclipse without any special equipment. I took some photos and uploaded one cropped image to Mastodon and Wikimedia Commons
2023-W41-7, 2023-288, Sun
- 01:13-07 (08:13+00): I voted in the Minecraft 2023 Mob Vote for the penguin.
- (10:58+00): I posted a blog post about my experience of the 2023-10-14 solar eclipse.
2023-W42-1, 2023-289, Mon
2023-W42-2, 2023-290, Tue
2023-W42-3, 2023-291, Wed
- (01:27+00): I made a pull request on monkingʼs
shell-utilitiesrepository for changing how the sumdir utility I often use works on older systems lacking parallel (e.g. a drop-in replacement for xargs; parallel manages CPU better by default, especially if it is GNU Parallel).
- (06:47+00): I made a note on the Magit GitHub page about a way to add a custom option in Magit to effectively do
git pull --gpg-sign. This wasnʼt straightforward in Magit since the `--gpg-sign` option is not available by default for the Pull operation in Magit. Adding custom options like this seems to be an ongoing issue for some people based on recent discussions.
2023-W42-4, 2023-292, Thu
- (08:10+00): I read that the anti-SLAPP case against Thomas Smith by P. Andrew Torrez was struck down. Now the case against P. Andrew Torrez over Opening Arguments can go through.
2023-W42-5, 2023-293, Fri
2023-W42-6, 2023-294, Sat
- (23:20+00): I tried out a median filter from GIMPʼs G'MIC plugin library on some photos I took with kacmastodi of Mount Hood on 2023-06-22. The result was so-so and required some manual tweaking, but the hugin program was useful in creating a set of cropped and aligned TIF image files that I could import into GIMP.
2023-W42-7, 2023-295, Sun
2023-W43-1, 2023-296, Mon
2023-W43-2, 2023-297, Tue
2023-W43-3, 2023-298, Wed
2023-W43-4, 2023-299, Thu
- 23:38-07 (06:38+00): I read this summary by Menelaos Perdikeas discussing the differences of UT1, GMT, TAI, and UTC. In summary, UT1 has variable second lengths since it is intended to exactly track the Earthʼs rotation second-by-second so noon on any meridian always occurs when the Sun is at its zenith; GMT had variable day lengths announced via daily synchronizing radio broadcasts. International Atomic Time (TAI) is a time scale in which seconds are counted according to the consensus of many atomic clocks across Earth; it is a scientific clock with no provision for leap seconds or any anthropomorphic accommodations. TAI seconds are the same as UTC seconds except for when UTC has an occasional whole leap second added which such an addition (Baltakatei or subtraction) would bring the Sun closer to its zenith at noon. UTC was intended as a replacement for GMT.
2023-W43-5, 2023-300, Fri
- 01:16-07 (08:16+00): I found a shortcut to move a window in cases where the window is not visible in LXQt which is related to LXDE]. (i.e.
- (03:55+00): I found a Ghostscript command that can quickly remove raster image elements from a PDF file.
$ gs -o noimages.pdf -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dFILTERIMAGE input.pdf
2023-W43-6, 2023-301, Sat
2023-W43-7, 2023-302, Sun
2023-W44-1, 2023-303, Mon
2023-W44-2, 2023-304, Tue
- Rod Pyle; Tariq Malik. (2023-09+22). “This Week in Space 80: Onward to the Stars”. TWiT. Accessed 2023-10-01.
- “People have requested the project files for the Baba Is You music; well, here you go! https://hempuli.com/baba_project_files.zip ¶ Please give credit if you use them or make remixes! ¶ #babaisyou ¶ #babamakelevel”. (2021-11-12). twitter.com. Accessed 2023-10-02.
- Nagaru Tanigawa. (2008). “Haruhi Suzumiya Theatre”. archive.org. Accessed 2023-10-07.
- “小説『涼宮ハルヒ』新刊制作決定 タイトルは＜涼宮ハルヒの劇場＞早くもトレンド入り”. (2023-09-24). oricon.co.jp. Accessed 2023-10-07. Title-en: “Production of a new book in the 'Suzumiya Haruhi' novel series confirmed. The title is 'Suzumiya Haruhi's Theater', and it's already trending”. Archived from the original on 2023-09-30.
- “『涼宮ハルヒ』伝説のコンサート15年ぶり開催決定 「涼宮ハルヒの弦奏 Revival」来年1月に実施”. (2023-09-24). oricon.co.jp. Accessed 2023-10-07. Title-en: “Legendary 'Suzumiya Haruhi' concert to be held for the first time in 15 years confirmed. 'Suzumiya Haruhi's String Performance Revival' to be conducted next January.”. Archived from the original on 2023-10-07.
- Baltakatei. (2023-10-09). “Finding slime chunks in Minecraft 1.20.2”. reboil.com. Accessed 2023-10-09.
- monking. (2023-09-27). “shell-utilities/sumdir”. commit ID:
081f2f7. Accessed 2023-10-10.
- Baltakatei. (2023-10-13). “@maleve @pluralistic It sounds like you would also enjoy the more broadly applicable Chokepoint Capitalism (2022) by Rebecca Giblin and Cory. Comcom is proposed by both Internet Con (Ch.6) and Chokepoint (Ch.16) but the latter does so after discussing chokepoints in books, news, music, streaming, and other creative markets. Internet Con notably lacks citations.”. Accessed 2023-10-13. “Compare their Notes and Further Reading sections.”.
- Baltakatei. (2023-10-14). “Today's solar #eclipse as seen from Vancouver, Washington. (thank you, clouds) #2023eclipse”. twit.social. Accessed 2023-10-14.
- Steven Baltakatei Sandoval. (2023-10-14). “File:2023-10-14 solar eclipse from Vancouver, WA.jpg”. Wikimedia Commons. Accessed 2023-10-14.
- “Minecraft Live”. (2023). minecraft.net. Accessed 2023-10-15. Archived from the original on 2023-10-15.
- Baltakatei. (2023-10-19). “feat(sumdir):Fallback to xargs if parallel not found”. github.com, monking/shell-utilities. Accessed 2023-10-19.
- dakrone. (2017-02-14). “Expose git-merge's "-S" option for GPG signing merge commits”. github.com, magit/magit. Accessed 2023-10-19.
- Thomas Smith. (2023-10-06). “Major victory in Smith v. admitted creep who stole the podcast we all loved!”. reddit.com, /r/OpenArgs. Accessed 2023-10-19.
- Smith, T., Serio Pod LLC v. Torrez, P. A., Does 1-10. (2023-10-02). “ORDER DENYING DEFENDANTS' SPECIAL MOTION TO STRIKE PORTIONS OF AMMENDED COMPLAINT”. Superior Court of California, County of Sonoma. Accessed 2023-10-19. Archived from the original on 2023-10-19.
- Pat David. (2013-05-06). “Noise Removal in Photos with Median Stacks (GIMP/G'MIC & Imagemagick)”. patdavid.net. Accessed 2023-10-21.
- “Align a stack of photos”. (n.d.). hugin.sourceforge.io. Accessed 2023-10-21.
- Menelaos Perdikeas. (n.d.). “UTC vs. UT1 time (and other nuances)”. github.io. Accessed 2023-10-27. Archived from the original on 2020-05-23.
- ComputingFroggy. (2019-05-31). “what is the shortcut key in LXDE to move a window”. superuser.com. Accessed 2023-10-27.
- Kurt Pfeifle. (2016-06-16). “How can I remove all images from a PDF?”. stackoverflow.com. Accessed 2023-10-28.
- “Security, Release Signatures”. (n.d.). syncthing.net. Accessed 2023-10-28. Archived from the original on 2019-12-21.